We are pleased that you are considering being married at the J. Irving Whalley Memorial Chapel on the picturesque campus of the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown.
Considerations when planning your special day with us:
- Eligibility: The use of the Whalley Chapel for a wedding ceremony is available to those with a Pitt affiliation. The bride or groom or at least one of their parents or grandparents must be a graduate, current full-time student or employee of the University of Pittsburgh.
- Authorized Ceremony: The marriage must be recognized as valid in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Selection of the officiant is the responsibility of the couple. Because the chapel is nondenominational, clergy of all denominations are welcome.
- Reserving the Chapel: To determine the availability of the Chapel for a desired wedding date, contact the Conference Center at 1-800-875-5958 or 814-269-1900. Please note that reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. Your reservation includes five hours the day of the ceremony and two hours the night before for a rehearsal.
*Note: If you are planning a Catholic ceremony, access Pitt-Johnstown’s Catholic Campus Ministry information.
- Any changes in your rehearsal or wedding times must have prior approval of the Conference Center.
- Payment: The rental fee is $300 to be paid in full at the time of the reservation. Once a satisfactory date/time is determined, the Reservation Form and full payment must be submitted. Checks and money orders may be made payable to the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown.
- Music/Sound System: It is the responsibility of the couple to provide musicians/music. The Chapel is equipped with an organ, electric piano, and the capability to play pre-recorded music. Either one CD or one cassette tape may be played. To ensure the quality of the sound, we cannot switch between CDs/cassettes or from CD to cassette during the ceremony. All audio arrangements must be coordinated with the Conference Center prior to the rehearsal and ceremony. A Pitt-Johnstown staff member will be at the chapel with you the night of the rehearsal and the day of the ceremony to assist with these arrangements. If your musician(s) wish to practice prior to the wedding, they should contact the Conference Center to arrange a time during the normal hours of operation (Monday-Thursday 7 a.m.-9 p.m., Friday 7 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Pitt-Johnstown will refund $150 of the chapel fee if the reservation is cancelled within ninety (90) days of the scheduled ceremony date. Cancellation must be in writing from either the bride or groom.