Become a Peer Tutor
Peer tutoring at Pitt-Johnstown offers you a unique opportunity to gain valuable real world experience. In addition to providing a valuable service to other students, it further develops your cognitive and affective skills.
What are the benefits of being a peer tutor?
- Valuable and rewarding experience in providing academic assistance to fellow students
- Opportunity to review important course concepts and to learn new ways of helping students master course material
- Training and experience in areas such as helping strategies, problem solving, and instructional methods
- Tutors earn $7.75/hr
The ASC is hiring peer tutors for the 2016-17 academic year. Positions are available in all subjects, but we have specific needs in the following areas:
- Math at all levels
- Computer science
- BIOL 0110
- BIOL 0950
- BIOL 0970
- BIOL 0980
- Chemistry at all levels
- Engineering at all levels
- Physics at all levels
Am I qualified to be a tutor?
- A strong record of achievement in content areas (minimum B+ in the designated courses)
- An overall solid record of achievement (cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher)
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, including positive attitude, empathy, patience, and openness; and a strong commitment to helping students succeed academically
- Basic skills necessary to facilitate peer learning (active listening, appropriate and effective explanation and demonstration of content, recognition of learner’s strengths, etc.)
How do I become a tutor?
- Apply online through Campus Services
- Attend New Tutor Training
- Interview with the Tutoring Coordinator
For more information about the tutoring program, please email email@example.com