Pitt-Johnstown Pre-Medical and Health Professions
The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown has a strong commitment to educating undergraduate students preparing for careers in medicine and health-related sciences. Many Pitt-Johnstown students are in degree programs in preparation for employment or further graduate study in nursing, medicine, rehabilitation, optometry, dentistry, podiatry, or veterinary medicine.
Between 1999 and 2011, the average acceptance rate into medical school was 97.8%, while the acceptance rate into dentistry and podiatry schools has been 100%.
Students in the pre-med program work closely with faculty and medical professionals who guide and mentor them throughout their time at Pitt-Johnstown. Among the opportunities available to you at Pitt-Johnstown are:
- Individual academic advising sessions during which you will identify career goals, choose a major, discuss course requirements, and establish a timeline for completing your studies
- Job-shadowing experiences, internships, and preceptorships at our region’s leading healthcare facilities and research centers, which will provide you with real-world experience and a first-hand understanding of benefits and opportunities of your chosen career
- Research experiences, including participation at the annual Symposium for the Promotion of Academic and Creative Enquiry (SPACE), which enable you to connect theory-to-practice while making meaningful contributions to your career field
- Events, such as group informational sessions and workshops with community members in health professions, to help you establish a professional network
- Membership in the Health Sciences-Medical Real World Interest Group, which connects you to other students, faculty, and staff with shared interests
- Guidance on the review, selection, and application processes for professional school including mock interviews and Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) preparation
Pitt-Johnstown is proud the acceptance rate into professional schools for students participating in the Pre-Medical Careers program.