Pitt-Johnstown Mechanical Engineering
Pitt-Johnstown began offering a Mechanical Engineering bachelor's degree in 2016.
The curriculum orients students to the specific responsibilities of the mechanical engineering profession, focusing on thermal-fluid science and solid mechanics and the design of systems. Manufacturing is covered in depth as an area of specialty.
Regarding program objectives, Pitt-Johnstown Mechanical Engineering
- obtain a broad knowledge of mechanical engineering and the skills necessary to work in a wide spectrum of technical industries;
- be prepared to advance to higher levels of professional responsibility.
- acknowledge the need for professional adaptability and will be prepared to pursue graduate study and/or professional growth during their careers.
- communicate effectively; and
- work well on teams, as well as independently.
Pitt-Johnstown Mechanical Engineering program’s student outcomes include the ability to:
- identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
- develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions; and
- acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Mechanical Engineering Enrolled Students/Graduates
Academic Year Enrolled Students Graduates
2018-2019 243 18
2017-2018 178 0
2016-2017 109 0
2015-2016 48 0