University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Pitt-Johnstown Seal

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Disciplinary Conference?

If you received a letter with a prescheduled appointment, you are required to comply by the Student Code of Conduct. Call 7062 to schedule and allow 30 minutes for this appointment.

The disciplinary conference is an opportunity for the respondent student to review the judicial compliant which was filed. Within this setting, you can either:

  • agree with the complaint and reccomended sanctions
  • disagree with the complaint or aspects surrounding the complaint and decide to attend a University Hearing Board or Administrative Hearing.
What happens if I don't respond to the letter?

Most students attend the Disciplinary Conference after receiving the letter. The appointment will be scheduled around your class schedule.

Failure to attend this scheduled appointment will result in a judicial hold being placed on the student account.  A student conduct hold prevents a student from conducting regular University business such as registering for classes, transferring, etc.

What are the possible outcomes of a disciplinary conference?
  • Not Responsible
  • Responsible
  • Proceed to University Hearing Board
  • Proceed to Administrative Hearing
  • Sanction Only Hearing
Am I responsible if my guest violates Pitt-Johnstown policy?

Yes. As a student of Pitt-Johnstown, it is your responsibility to inform visitors, guests and families of policies. If you are a resident student, this includes Code of Conduct policies and residence hall operating procedures. If you are a commuter student, this includes the Code of Conduct. In either case, Pennsylvania state laws and federal laws/regulations will also be upheld on our campus.

Pitt-Johnstown students may face judicial charges for guests' behavior while the guest may receive a police citation.

Why do people attend a University Board Hearing?

Students attend hearings for several reasons.

As the accused student, you believe that it is in your best interest to present your information within a hearing setting. At this point, you have decided upon either a Student Judicial Board Hearing or an Administrative Hearing.

As a witness, you may have been requested to attend someeone's hearing based on information that you have about the case. Usually, witnesses were present at the incident.

As a representative, you have been asked by the accused student to serve as a support person. As representative you can speak on behalf of the accused student as well as ask questions.  The only exception to this is an attorney; because this process is a University process (rather than a legal process), an attorney cannot speak or respond to questions directly during a hearing.

What is a University Hearing Board?

A Univeristy Hearing Board is a formal process which adjudicates your case. Three Pitt-Johnstown students have been asked to hear the judicial case. At the end of the hearing, the board will recommend a sanction if the accused student is found guilty of policy violations. This sanction is a recommendation which will be reviewed by Mr. Jonathan D. Wescott, Vice President for Student Affairs.

What is an Administrative Hearing?

An Administrative Hearing follows the same format as the Student Judicial Board Hearing. However, you have decided that you would rather have your case heard by a University Administrator, rather than a body of your peers.

At the end of the hearing, the administrator will recommend a sanction if the accused student is found responsible for policy violations. This sanction is a recommendation which will be reviewed by Mr. Jonathan D. Wescott, Vice President for Student Affairs.

What is a student conduct sanction?

Pitt-Johnstown students and recognized student organizations (RSOs) who are found responsible of violating policty will be placed on a University sanction. Whenever possible, the sanction will be designed to help individuals and groups learn. The sanction will enable students and groups to make better decisions in the future. Records are maintained in the Office of Student Affairs for seven years following a student'sseperation from the University.

When can I file an appeal?

Decisions which involve loss of University housing and other sanctions which are greater than Disciplinary Probation are appealable.

If this is the case, you have the option to file an appeal with Judicial Affairs.  You have five business days from the date of the outcome letter to file your appeal letter in G-61 Student Union Building.

Will my student record be on my transcript?

Each student has a student conduct file maintained in the Office of Student Relations and Conduct.  Files are maintained by the University for seven years following the student's graduation or separation.  Student Conduct records, sanctions and history are not reflected on the academic transcript.

Last Reviewed: June 16, 2010