University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
The verification process is a way for the U.S. Department of Education to ensure accurate reporting of information on the FAFSA. Each year, a portion of the student population is randomly selected by the Department of Education for verification. If you are selected, we are required by the Department of Education to collect the following:
- Copies of tax return transcripts
- W2’s for both parents and students
- Verification Worksheet
We will mail you a Pitt-Johnstown Verification Worksheet as well as a request for copies of all pertinent tax information, as we are unable to process any Federal Student Aid, including Stafford and PLUS loans, until the verification process has been completed. Thus, the sooner the requested information is returned to us, the sooner we will be able to complete your financial aid.
If you were selected for verification which is designated by an asterisk (*) to the right of your EFC on your Student Aid Report (SAR), you may download the necessary forms needed to complete the verification process.
Tax Return Transcript Request
Tax filers can request a transcript, free of charge, through:
Online Request (Recommended method)
- Available on the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/
- In the Online Services, click "Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript"
- Enter the tax filer's Social Security Number and other personal data requested.
- Click "continue"
- In Type of Transcript, select "Return Transcript" and the Tax Year
- You may choose to obtain the transcript immediately by downloading and printing the tax return transcript or Filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript in 5-10 days.
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Taxpayer must enter Social Security Number and other personal data, when prompted
- Select Option 2 to request a Transcript and then enter the Tax Year
- Filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript in 5-10 days.
Reduction of IncomeIf your family’s 2014 income will be significantly less than the 2013 income reported on your FAFSA, you can complete the Reduction of Income form and return it to the Financial Aid Office for further consideration of your 2014-2015 financial aid.
All students who request a Reduction of Income, must complete Verification. Through the Verification process, we will be able to compare your family’s 2013 Federal Income Tax information against the information reported on your FAFSA and make any necessary adjustments. Along with your family’s 2013 Federal Income Tax information, you are required to submit the Pitt-Johnstown Verification Worksheet. Please be advised that your Reduction of Income will not be processed until the Verification process is complete. No Reduction of Income forms will be processed after February 15, 2015.
Last Reviewed: March 19, 2008