University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Founded in 1927, the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown is the first and largest regional campus of the University of Pittsburgh. A vital knowledge center and a foremost contributor to the region’s educational, social, cultural, and economic development, Pitt-Johnstown provides a high quality educational experience that is purposefully designed to prepare students for the real world of the 21st century. Pitt-Johnstown’s record of excellence is reflected, in part, by the accomplishments of students, faculty, and staff; the record of achievements of more than 19,000 alumni; the satisfaction of area employers; and the commendations of many external organizations. Pitt-Johnstown offers a high quality educational experience in supportive living-learning environment, that is grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, is current, and is responsive to both our students’ personal and professional needs and to our communities’ needs. Our campus is located on 655 picturesque acres in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh.
Pitt-Johnstown...Ready for the Real World
- Excellent faculty teaching, scholarship and service, as well as enriching faculty-student mentorships and collaborations in scholarship, research and creative activity; dedicated, attentive and supportive staff.
- Personalized instruction in small classes; student-to-faculty ratio 18:1.
- 46 undergraduate majors including 3 University of Pittsburgh graduate degrees.
- Student graduation and success rates that exceed the national average of similar institutions.
- 85 active student organizations and a tradition of athletic excellence with nationally recognized, award-winning NCAA Division II (10 teams) and West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference programs.
- Extraordinarily picturesque campus featuring a pristine nature preserve with scenic hiking trails; first-class facilities including a state-of-the-art performing arts center and a leading conference center.
- Exceptional community involvement by faculty, staff and students – contributing thousands of hours annually to volunteer service.
- 19,000 alumni making a difference throughout our community and the world.
- Top employer and key partner in shaping the economic future with an annual impact exceeding $60 million.
- Growing partnerships with businesses in areas such as healthcare, education, commerce, technology, and the arts.
- Expanding workforce capacity by enhancing problem-solving skills, linking theory-to-practice through experiences such as internships and service-learning projects.
- A pinnacle of excellence, preparing students for the Real World and a foremost contributor to the area’s educational, social, cultural, and economic environment.
- An illuminating Vision for the future that charts a path for greater distinction and recognition in the Northeast region.
- A comprehensive New Dimension of Excellence Strategic Plan for accomplishing our Mission.
- A unique RealWorld Action Program that empowers students to design a customized personal and professional action plan to develop as agents of positive change in our communities and our world.
- Mountain Cat Proud!
Last Reviewed: April 7, 2008