This unique degree program at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown allows graduates from Associate Degree (or equivalent) health care programs or accredited hospital-based programs for health professions (with acceptable academic credits) to prepare for positions as supervisors/administrators or educators within the health care field.
In order to complete the requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Healthcare, the following criteria must be met:
- Candidates for this program must have graduated with a minimum QPA of 2.25 (based on a 4.0 grading system) from their professional program.
- All General Education requirements must be completed.
- The student's previous health care professional curriculum must be evaluated.
- Up to 48 pre-professional/technical credits can be awarded. If less than 48 credits are awarded, the students must make up the additional credits in consultation with their advisor.
The Admission Process
Application must be made through the Office of Advanced and Continuing Education, 157 Blackington Hall, 814-269-7074.
Official grade transcripts must be sent to the Office of Advanced and Continuing Education. All required documentation exhibiting professional certification, registration, or licensure to practice must be submitted to the Office of Advanced and Continuing Education.
Academic Policies and Procedures
Students may attend classes on a full-time basis through daytime study. Students attending part-time may earn their degree through daytime or evening study.
To qualify for honors, a student must have taken at least 60 credits on the letter-grade system at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown.
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
A. English Composition 0005,0006
B. Any Primary Writing Course OR two Writing Enhanced Courses (may use HRP 1050 as one)
C. Speaking Enhanced Courses - select either of the following:
- Any three Speaking Enhanced courses or
- One Primary Speaking course and one Speaking Enhanced course
D. One Pre-College Level Math course (Math 0001 or higher)
E. One Quantitative Reasoning course (from an approved list)
HUMANITIES (12 CREDITS)
Select a total of four 3-credit courses (twelve credits) from any of the following subject areas:
- Communication and Rhetoric
- English Literature
- Fine Arts
- Foreign Language
- Foreign Literature in Translation
SOCIAL SCIENCES (12 credits)
Any four from at least three different subject areas
- Political Science
NATURAL SCIENCES (12 credits minimum)
Choose from the following subject areas:
- Computer Science
REQUIRED COURSES BY THE SCHOOL OF HEALTH CARE (22 credits)
- Principles of Management, BUS 0500
- Introduction to Educational Psychology, EDPSY 0006
- Social Statistics, STAT 1020
- Legal Aspects of Health Care, HRP 1119
- Health Care Education, HRP 1050
- Health Care Management, HRP 1054
- Health Care Internship, HRP 1095