What if I can’t connect?
1. Re-check all your PC settings
2. Check that your operating system actually sees your network card in the device manager
3. Check that you have a good connection (check that you can see a small blinking light where your cable connects in the back of your PC)
4. Be sure you are using an Ethernet (CAT5) networking cable and not a phone cable. The Ethernet cable is thicker and has a larger jack on it
5. Try connecting through your roommate’s wall port or by using their cable if they can connect
What if I still can’t connect?
Your PC may have been compromised
• File Sharing programs
What can I do to fix it?
• Run a complete virus scan. Use the provided Symantec Endpoint Protection available from Software downloads at https://my.pitt.edu or another reputable anti-virus program.
• Download, install, and run the spyware programs available from Pitt, Microsoft, and other reputable vendors
• Uninstall unnecessary programs (file-sharing programs, toolbars, "free" software)
• Backup your data, format your drive, and reload your operating system and other programs
• Call the help desk at ext. 7548
• If needed, we do offer a PC reloading service for a nominal fee