University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Placement Exam Information
| Date:||Monday, August 18, 2014|
| Math Exam:|| 9:15 AM (Check-in: 9:00 AM) |
| Chemistry Exam:|| 11:00AM (Check-in: 10:50 AM) |
|Date:||Sunday, August 24, 2014|
8:00 AM (Check-in: 7:30 AM)
9:45 AM (Check-in: 9:15 AM)
Foreign Language Exam:
10:50 AM (Check-in: 10:30 AM)
| Location: || Blackington Hall|
Click here to register if you have a current PITT username and password.
- Admission status is not affected by placement scores.
- There is no fee for the exams.
- Scores on the Math Placement Exam determine your entry level math course which will be Math 0001 if the exam is not taken. Scores on the Math Placement Exam also determine what courses are required to satisfy the Quantitative Reasoning Competency of the General Education requirement for graduation.
- Scores on the Chemistry or Foreign Language Exams determine your entry level course in Chem or FL.
- All students take the Math Placement Exam before their first semester at Pitt-Johnstown.
- AP credits, Pitt CHS credits, and applicable transfer credits can take precedent over the placement scores, but only after the credits are recorded at Pitt-Johnstown.
- Students, who after taking the exams believe that their scores are not indicative of their knowledge and skills, may take that exam a second time. Each exam may only be taken 2 times.
- Time limits: Math exam - 90 minutes, Chem exam - 55 minutes, FL exams - 60 minutes
- What to bring: a Photo ID, your Pitt student ID#, a scientific calculator (graphing calculators are not permitted), your registration confirmation page, and #2 pencils.
- Questions pertaining to the math exam or scores? Contact Mrs. Linda Tully via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to the chem exam or scores? Contact Dr. Bell-Loncella via email at email@example.com
- Questions pertaining to the FL exam or scores? Contact Dr. Patty Derrick via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trouble registering? Contact Mrs. Dawn Beam at email@example.com . (This address is for registration ONLY. Questions about the exams or exam scores should be addressed to Mrs. Tully, Dr. Bell-Loncella or Dr. Patty Derrick.)
As part of our commitment to excellence, we require all of our students to take a diverse selection of classes in the natural sciences, the humanities and the social sciences. By the time they graduate, students must also show competence in writing, speaking and quantitative reasoning.
To assist us in preparing an appropriate class schedule and to offer you an opportunity to test out of a required quantitative reasoning course, all incoming students are required to take a Math Placement Exam. The results of this exam are extremely important for scheduling your courses.
You will also have an opportunity to take placement exams in Chemistry and a foreign language. Students who plan to enroll in Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Planetary Sciences, Secondary Education Sciences, Pre-Health or Pre-Pharmacy professions or Engineering Science and Engineering Technology must take the chemistry placement exam. Students who wish to study a foreign language at the college level and have prior coursework in that language should take a placement exam in French or Spanish. This will help us schedule you for the most appropriate classes. If you are not certain as to whether you will be taking courses in any of these areas, we recommend that you do take the appropriate exams.
Last Reviewed: May 27, 2008