University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Pitt-Johnstown Seal

Parent's Frequently Asked Questions

How do I verify my child’s enrollment for insurance or loan deferment purposes?
You may request an Enrollment Verification from the Office of the Registrar via phone or in person.  The form may be mailed, faxed, or picked up directly from the office.  A student or guardian may request the form.

How can I get a letter of good academic standing for my child’s car insurance?
The Office of the Registrar can sign forms from your insurance company that ask if the student is in good academic standing.  If they require a letter stating the student’s standing, you may contact the Registrar’s Office.

How can I access my child’s grades online?
You cannot access grades to your child’s account unless they provide you with his/her PeopleSoft user name and password.  Without online access, the student may obtain a copy of their transcript for you to view grades.  A FERPA Release form that can be completed by the student that states a parent/guardian may have access to this information. 
 Keep in mind there are various formats of this form for each office.

My child transferred to another institution.  How do we provide the new institution with grades from Pitt-Johnstown?
The student should request an official transcript to be sent to the new institution.  The form can be obtained from the Registrar’s website.

What is FERPA?
FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and is a federal law that was enacted in 1974.  FERPA protects the privacy of student education records.  All educational institutions that receive federal funding must comply with FERPA.

Do parents have rights under FERPA?
In primary and secondary educational institutions (i.e. K-12), all FERPA rights belong to the parent; however, when the student reaches the age of 18 or begins to attend a post-secondary institution (regardless of age), all FERPA rights transfer to the student.

My child attended the University over a year ago.  Is he/she able to register for the upcoming term?
If the student has not enrolled for classes at the University for (3) consecutive terms, he/she will need to re-apply to the school and be re-admitted to the University.

My child is an undergraduate at another university, but would like to attend summer courses at Pitt-Johnstown while they are home.  Is he/she able to register with the university?
Pitt-Johnstown offers a Summer Visiting Program.  The necessary documents may be found on the Registrar’s website (, along with instructions on how to register.

How does my child fulfill a specific academic program requirement?
Students should speak with their academic advisor to find out which courses fulfill their program requirements.  The student may also log onto the Student Center to view their academic progress report.  They can then run the report to view what classes have not yet been fulfilled.

Why does my child have a “hold?”
Holds are placed by offices throughout the University for various reasons.  They may be in regards to advising, financial, disciplinary, etc.  Students can view their hold through their Student Center.

If my child does not have a financial hold or other hold that stops diplomas, and he/she has not received a diploma, what would cause this?
The student may not have applied for graduation or the graduation application may have been denied.  A student should apply for graduation after they have 75 earned credits.  If a student applies for graduation, but does not meet all of the requirements, they are notified to discuss other options.

Why is my child being charged additional fees?
In addition to tuition and mandatory fees, there are some fees attached to specific courses.  The Schedule of Classes will designate which courses have additional fees.

When are the breaks during a term?
The university has a one-day Fall Break in October and a week-long Spring Recess in March, in addition to regular holiday closings. Academic calendars can be found at

When are final exams given?
Final exams are scheduled during the last week of the term.

How can I find my child’s final exam schedule?
The final exam schedule is listed on the Registrar’s website.  If you know your child’s schedule, you can determine the days and times of their final exams.  The schedule is posted at the beginning of the term.

How does my child change his/her address?
Students are able to maintain their mailing and home addresses, phone numbers, and emergency contact information through their Student Center.  There is also a “Student Information Update” form on the Registrar’s website or in the office that can be completed and returned to the Office of the Registrar.

Do you have questions that weren't answered here? Please email your questions to!