University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Pitt-Johnstown Seal

Student's Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I find the schedule of classes?
The schedule of classes is no longer available in a printed book format. The class schedule may be found online at t
he Office of Registrar's webpage.

How do I look for open classes?
Class availability changes often. Active students can search for classes through their Student Center using the class search function.

How do I add or drop a class?
Students are able to complete their own enrollment transactions through their Student Center. A student is able to add or drop a class within the first two weeks of the term. Further information on online enrollment may be found at the Student Center Log-in screen by clicking "Learn More" just below the "Student Center Log-In" link.

How do I register for a class that is restricted or closed?
Print an enrollment worksheet from the Registrar’s Office website ( and take it to the instructor of the class you are trying to register. The instructor may choose to override the restriction or capacity, and sign your form. You will then take it to the Registrar’s Office and they can register the class for you. A restricted or closed class will not be registered without permission of the instructor.

How do I apply to audit a class or apply for a pass/fail grade option?
The Office of the Registrar has forms for you to request to audit a class or take a class for a pass/fail grading option. Once the form is completed, it will be returned to the Registrar’s Office for processing. The decision must be make during the first three weeks of the term, and is irreversible.

How can I obtain a copy of my schedule?
You can print your schedule from your Student Center. Be sure to check your schedule frequently for room and/or time changes.

How can I make sure I fulfill a specific academic program requirement?
Each division has a list of requirements for their specific programs. Students will meet with their advisor before every term begins to make sure they are fulfilling all of the requirements. A student may view their progress report in their Student Center.  Program requirements may be found in the Academic Source Book on
the Registrar's webpage.

Why am I being charged additional fees with certain courses?
In addition to tuition and mandatory fees, specific courses have additional fees associated, such as laboratory courses. These fees can be found on the class schedule.

When are final exams scheduled?
Final exams are scheduled during the last week of the term and are posted on the Registrar's webpage.

Who is my academic advisor and when do I meet with them?
An academic advisor is assigned to every student and may be found on their Student Center page. The student must meet with their advisor prior to registering for classes every term. They will make sure all requirements are being met and will need to release the advising hold before enrollment may begin. You will not be able to register for any courses until this hold is lifted.

I attended Pitt-Johnstown over a year ago. Can I register for the upcoming term?
If the student has not been enrolled for classes at Pitt-Johnstown for three consecutive terms, he/she would have to be re-admitted to the University. The Admissions office is able to assist and can be reached at 814-269-7050.

I am an undergraduate student at another University and am interested in taking summer classes at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. How do I register for summer courses with Pitt-Johnstown?
A link to summer registration is provided on the Registrar’s site, along with instructions to enroll as a summer visiting student. This process is handled by the University Registrar.


I have a transcript from another University, where should I send it to receive transfer credit?
Any transcripts from a different school should be sent directly to the Admissions Office. The courses will be evaluated and you will be notified about the courses that did or did not transfer. If you are an incoming student, you will receive a letter through US mail; if you are a current student, you will be notified through your campus e-mail account.

How do I know if my credits have been transferred from my previous institution?
View your academic progress report to see if courses from your previous institution are listed.

How do I transfer credits to another institution?
An official transcript will need to be requested from the Office of the Registrar website.  If the transcript cannot be processed due to a hold on your account, you will be notified.

How do I change or declare my major?
You will want to speak with the division office for which you are changing or declaring your major. A list of the divisions and their offices may be found at 


When are final grades posted?
Final grades are generally posted within one week after the final examination period is over. Students will have access to their grades through their Student Center.

What do I do if my grade for a particular class is incorrect?
You should contact the instructor of the class. If the instructor determines that the grade should be changed, the change is initiated on a Grade Change Form and sent to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

When and where is Commencement?
Commencement is on Saturday following the last day of the Spring term. There is one annual commencement ceremony. The graduation terms included would be for the current Spring term and June, as well as the previous year’s August, and December’s terms.

I have not received my diploma. Why?
Diplomas are generally mailed within 4-6 weeks of graduation. If the student has a financial hold on his/her account, the diploma will be held until the account has been settled and the hold is released. If this is the case, the student must notify the Office of the Registrar once the hold is lifted so the diploma may be mailed.

The major is not on my diploma, is that a mistake?
This is not a mistake. The diploma lists the degree awarded, not the major. The major appears on the student’s official University of Pittsburgh transcript.


How do I request official transcripts and is there a fee?
Official transcripts are ordered using an electronic ordering system. You have the option of receiving your transcript as a secure, certified PDF, by mail or by rush delivery (see note below). Please be aware that some institutions and employers may not accept electronic transcripts. It will also be necessary to place an online order to have your transcript mailed.

Debit, Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express are accepted when requesting transcripts. The official transcript fee is $5.00 when ordering the transcript to be sent electronically by PDF. The official transcript fee is $6.00 when ordering the transcript to be sent via U.S. Mail. If you wish to have your transcirpt sent Rush Delivery within the continental United States the fee is $6.00 + $25.00 = $31.00.

How can I obtain proof that I am a full-time student for health insurance?
You may call the Office of the Registrar at 814-269-7055. You will need to provide us with the student’s ID number or some identifying information to make sure we have the correct student. We may fax or mail the form, unless you wish to have the student pick it up from the office. If you have a form that was sent from your insurance company, you may mail or fax it to our office for completion.


What is FERPA?
FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. It is a federal law that was enacted in 1974 and protects the privacy of student education records. All educational institutions that receive federal funding must comply with FERPA.

Where can I find my student ID number?
The student’s ID number can be found in his/her Student Center. This will be important to remember, for it is used for many purposes.

How can I obtain an ID card?
ID cards are available through the ID Center in G52 Student Union Building. For more information, visit

Why do I have a hold?
Holds are placed by offices throughout the University for a number of reasons. These reasons may include judicial, advising, collections, etc. Students have access to see their holds through their Student Center.

How do I change my address and/or contact information?
Students are able to maintain their mailing and home addresses, phone numbers, and emergency contact information through their Student Center or by visiting the Office of the Registrar located in 279 Blackington Hall

Do you have questions that weren't answered here? Please email your questions to!