What is an Ambassador?
Ambassadors are orientation leaders who are eager to help First Year students and their parents learn about life at The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. Ambassadors work during the late summer advising, informing and entertaining incoming students and their parents.
As an Ambassador you will have the opportunity to work closely with the University’s faculty and staff in an informal setting.
Ambassadors will become a special part of the orientation program. Through training sessions and fun times together, Ambassadors form lasting friendships and memories that will stay with them, always.
- Arrive to campus on Tuesday, August 20st by 3:00pm.
- Participate in a one day training workshop on Wednesday, August 22.
- Assist students and their loved ones with moving in student belongings.
- Assist in the facilitation of Orientation programming in conjunction with Pitt-Johnstown faculty, staff, and residence life paraprofessionals Thursday, August 22 through Sunday August 25, 2013.
- Accompany First Year Students to all scheduled orientation events.
- Mentor First Year students in the Real World Action Program.
What is the Head Ambassador Position?
These five students will be selected from returning Ambassadors to assist the Student Life staff with the leadership of the Ambassador program. These students will arrive one daysooner than the Ambassadors and at least one will be present at all Welcome Week activities. The Head Ambassadors will have input on the Welcome Week schedule, and will need to be able to communicate throughout the summer via email.
Head Ambassador Responsibilities
- Arrive to campus on Monday, August 19th by 3:00pm.
- Attend an evening meeting/training on the evening of the 19th (dinner included)
- Assist with check‐in/arrival of the Ambassadors on Tuesday the 20th.
- Participate in a one day training workshop on Wednesday August 22nd.
- All other Ambassador responsibilities as listed above.
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.00 semester and cumulative GPA by the end of the Spring 2013 semester.
- Applicants must be in good disciplinary standing.
- Applicants should be active and enthusiastic members of the Pitt-Johnstown Campus Community, able to communicate well with the new students and their families.
- We will be selecting no more than 70 Ambassadors, so the above criteria will be very important to the selection – please be honest and thorough in listing your activities and accomplishments!
As an Ambassador you will receive . . .
- All meals from Tuesday at dinner until meal plans take effect (Ambassadors without a meal plan will be covered through Sunday brunch)
- The privilege of moving into campus housing early at no additional cost.
- A t-shirt to wear to designate your Ambassador status =)
Application Process and Deadline
Click here to download an application packet. Applications may also be picked up in the Office of Student Life (G61 Student Union) or the Office of Housing and Residence Life (130 Student Union).
All Ambassador applications must be completed and returned to the Office of Student Life by Friday, April 5, 2013.
Notification of selection, as well as specifics about the position, will not occur until after May 14 (when Spring grades can be reviewed), however, preliminary positions will be offered on April 17.
If you have any questions, contact Sherri Rae, Director of Student Life at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (814) 269-2060.