University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Pitt-Johnstown Seal

Teacher's Certification

Are you thinking about coming back to school to pursue a Teacher's Certification? Are you looking toward financial aid to help cover the costs? Well, this information may help you.

In order to receive financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the school year that you wish to attend. For financial aid purposes, you will be considered a grade level 5 student.

Since you have already earned a degree, you will be eligible only for loans. Being enrolled in a teacher certification program, you may receive up to $5500 through the Stafford Loan Program. If you are an independent student, as defined by federal guidelines, you may borrow an additional $7000 in unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds.

If you need additional money to help cover the cost of your education, alternative loans are an available resource. Many banks and outside lending agencies offer alternative loan programs. You may borrow alternative loans until your certification program is complete, as long as you continue to meet your lender’s requirements.

Last Reviewed: February 25, 2008