University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Pitt-Johnstown Seal

Preparing to Come to Pitt-Johnstown

Completing each item listed below will ensure a smooth transition for you to Pitt-Johnstown.  Please keep in mind that allowing adequate time for processing and proper planning will provide the greatest opportunity for successful immigration.

1.  Passport:  If you have not done so already, apply for your passport or verify that your passport is valid.  

2.  Apply for your Student Visa:  In order to obtain the F-1 or J-1 entry visa needed for admission to the United States, you will need to take the original I-20 or Form DS-2019 (issued by the University of Pittsburgh), your passport, and financial support documentation (e.g. award letter, bank statement, etc.) to the US Embassy or Consulate nearest you.  For tips on applying for the non-immigrant visa, click here. (NOTE:  Citizens of Canada are not required to apply for an entry visa at a US Embassy or Consulate).  Visit the US Department of State for additional information about US Embassies or Consulates.

3.  Travel Arrangements - After you receive your visa, make your travel arrangements to the United States.  Popular ports of entry are Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Baltimore, Maryland.  You are not limited, however, to these two entry locations.   Next, you'll want to continue your travels to the Johnstown region.  Johnstown has three major modes of transporation:  The John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport, Greyhound Bus Lines, and Amtrak Train Station.  A local transit service, shuttles, and taxis are also available.

It is important to know that students in F or J visa status may not enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.  We ask that you notify us of flight information, including airline details, arrival dates, and times.  This information will help us create a schedule of events for you when you arrive.