Professor Rose has been a member of the faculty of the Engineering Technology Division since September, 1999.
Bachelor of Science, Engineering, University of Connecticut, 1985
Master of Science, Civil Engineering, University of Connecticut, 1986
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1995
Staff Engineer with GAI Consultants, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA from 1994 to 2000.
Geotechnical and structural engineering design experience on a variety of commercial
and industrial developments, transmission lines, and highway structures.
* Applied research experience in transmission line
foundation behavior and design.
* Evaluation of rock strength and deformation parameters for prediction
of drilled shaft and direct embedded electric transmission line foundation
behavior under lateral loads.
* Development of commercial software for transmission line foundation
* Geotechnical and structural design of bridge caissons, water treatment plant
structures, transmission line foundations, and rock anchored structures.
* Reinforced concrete design of parking garage slabs. Inspection and
identification of parking garage deterioration.
* Geotechnical analyses related to slope stability and subsidence problems.
Assisted in assembling and reviewing shear strength data for 550 ft.
high zoned earth and rockfill Seven Oaks dam in California, under the direction
of Mike Duncan and Tom Brandon, for the Los Angeles District, U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers.
Civil Engineer with Roald Haestad, Inc., Consulting Engineers, Waterbury, CT,
from 1989 to 1990
* Dam rehabilitation and improvement investigations
* Concrete structure design related to dams and water works
* Constuction observation of spillway and dam improvements
* Analysis and design of water tank foundations
* Inspection of landfill monitoring well installation
* Assessment of liquefaction potential and evaluation of remedial measures for
an existing 250 ft. high hydraulic fill dam in western Massachusetts due to
Civil Engineer with Seelye, Stevenson, Value & Knecht, (STV Engineers) Stratford, CT, 1989
* Experience in the layout, analysis and preliminary design of reinforced
concrete retaining walls for a major DOT highway project.
* Preparation of soil and rock reports for various highway structures.
Geotechnical Engineer with Heynen Engineers, Guilford, Ct., from 1987 to 1989
* Experience in subsurface explorations and foundation design
* Field and laboratory studies for geotechnical proejcts
* Dam investigation studies and design
* Bearing capacity analysis for shallow and deep foundation systems
* Subdrainage design
* Construction observation and field testing related to earthwork and concrete
Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering Technology (September 1999 - present),
University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, Johnstown, PA
Structural Steel Design
Reinforced Concerete Design
Engineering Mechanics -
Strengths of Materials
Strengths of Materials Laboratory
Instructor, Week 1, "Transmission Line Design and Construction" presented
by GAI Consultants, Inc., in cooperation with the Pennsylvania
State University Advanced School of Power Engineering for the Provincial
Electric Authority, Kingdom of Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand, 2000
Instructor, Foundation Design (May 20-21, 1999), portion of "Transmission Line
Design and Upgrading: A Four-Week Course of Study", GAI Consultants,
Inc. and Power Technologies, Inc., Schenectady, NY, 1999
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Civil Engineering Department, Virginia
Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 1990 - 1991, 1993 - 1994
Teaching Assistant, "Seepage, Piping, and Remedial Measures",
sponsored by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, May 5 - 7, 1991,
Blacksburg, VA, Instructor: Mike Duncan
Teaching Assistant for Statics and Dynamics, University of Connecticut, 1986
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member
- Pittsburgh Section, ASCE, Geo-Institute
Vice Chair 2004-2005
Program Chair 2002-2004
Assistant Program Chair 2000-2002
At-Large Board Member 1998-2000
- American Society for Engineering Education, Member
- American Institute of Steel Construction, Educator Membership
- Faculty Advisor, Society of Undergraduate Engineers, 2002-Present
- AMD & ART, Inc., Johnstown, PA - Board Member 2002-Present
Honors and Awards
- 2008-2009 Pitt-Johnstown President's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2004 ASEE Gerald R. Seeley Fellow, ASEE Civil Engineering Division
- 2003 ASCE ExCEEd New Faculty Teaching Award for Zone 1
- 2003 Outstanding Professor of the Year Award, ASCE Pittsburgh Section
- 2002 Teacher of the Year, Phi Eta Sigman (Freshman Honor Society), University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown Chapter
- 2000 Frontiers in Education (FIE 2000), New Faculty Fellow
- Via Fellowship Recipient - Virginia Tech Civil Engineering Department (1990-1994)
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi (1985)
- Member, Tau Beta Pi (1983)
- Member, Chi Epsilon (1983)