The Residential Networking (ResNet) program at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown provides in-room network connections and support to students in support of the academic mission of the University. It is the responsibility of every student to use these resources appropriately and in compliance with all University, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
Computing network access is a privilege that can be revoked due to inappropriate use. By accepting University housing and/or connecting to ResNet, the user agrees to the terms and conditions of this ResNet Acceptable Use Policy and all other University information technology resource policies as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.
In order to facilitate the administration of the ResNet program and to maintain equitable use of information technology resources, additional policies apply to the use of this service.
* ResNet services, equipment, wiring and/or jacks may not be altered or extended beyond the location of their intended use (i.e., room in which they are located). ResNet participants may only connect one end-user computing device per Ethernet port.
* Students are personally responsible for all use of their computer and network connections and will be held accountable for any violations that occur in connection with their use. Students should allow their computers to be used by others only with full understanding of the potential consequences of such action.
* Students are expressly prohibited from attaching a server to any network connection in the residence halls.
* Students may not attach routers, switches, wireless routers or access points to any network connection in the residence halls.
* Students are not permitted to use the ResNet network and services:
- for personal profit or gain,
- to harass, threaten, or otherwise invade the privacy of others,
- to initiate or forward e-mail chain letters,
- to cause breaches of computer, network or telecommunications security systems,
- to initiate activities which unduly consume computing or network resources.
Violations of this ResNet Acceptable Use Policy and/or the Student Code of Conduct will be adjudicated, as appropriate, by the Student Judicial Board. Sanctions imposed as a result of such violations may include (but are not limited to):
* Suspension or Termination of Access to Information Technology Resources
* Monetary reimbursement to the University and other injured parties
* Prosecution under applicable civil or criminal laws
By connecting my personal computer to the ResNet service, I agree to abide by the University's regulations regarding the use of information technology resources as detailed in this Acceptable Use policy; the University of Pittsburgh Student Code of Conduct and Judicial Procedures Manual; and by all relevant local, state and Federal laws, including the federal Copyright Act of 1976.
I further understand that misuse of network access via ResNet will lead to the suspension and/or termination of my access to information technology resources and may result in other University, local, state or federal sanctions against me.
To gain access to the Pitt-Johnstown ResNet, you must agree to abide by the terms of the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown Acceptable Network Usage Policy.